Armidale armed robbery: Angus Morris charged with being accessory to BP service station robbery and stealing from Saints Mary and Joseph Catholic Cath

A MAN and a teenage boy have been refused bail, charged in connection to the armed robbery of an Armidale service station earlier this week.

Detectives allege Angus Morris and a 15-year-old boy were behind the daylight hold-up of the BP service station on the corner of Marsh and Dumaresq Streets on Tuesday afternoon.

The 15-year-old, who cannot be identified because of his age, is accused of using the knife to hold-up the service station employee, while Morris is accused of being an accessory to the robbery before it happened.

Morris, 23, was also wanted by police after allegedly stealing $400 from the Catholic church, earlier in the week.

The teenager is charged with robbery armed with an offensive weapon, after allegedly threatening the employee about 2pm on the day in question before stealing lollies and drinks and fleeing the scene.

He was arrested by Armidale detectives less than 24 hours later. Later that day, they moved again.

About 4.20pm, detectives pounced on Morris, arresting him in Barney Street.

He was question by investigators about his alleged involvement in the robbery and was charged with the accessory offence.

Detectives allege Morris knew the robbery was going to occur and aided the teenager before the offence.

Morris appeared in an out-of-sessions bail hearing in Armidale Local Court yesterday afternoon and was not required to enter pleas to the accessory charge or larceny. He was refused bail by the court.

Police allege his rode his bike to the Saints Mary and Joseph Catholic Cathedral about 2.45pm on Saturday.

They allege he then entered the foyer of the church and prized open a locked cash donation box and removed approximately $400 in notes and coins.

Police will allege CCTV identifies Morris at the scene of the crime.

It was witness statements along with security surveillance footage which also connects him to the robbery, detectives claim.

Detectives pored over CCTV footage of the hold-up and spoke to witnesses before homing in on the teenage suspect.

Goods police allege are connected to the armed robbery were also seized by officers.

The teenager again fronted a children’s court in Inverell on Thursday and was not required to enter a plea, but was denied bail by magistrate Michael Daikin.

He will return to court in August.

Police said investigations are continuing.


Extracted from Northern Daily Reader

Scroll to Top